Shaking Hands Series- Part Three
The Submissive Handshake
Hands are, as parts of the ” body language “, often used in greetings. The most common form of greeting is ” hand shaking “. Handshake, is a kind of communication among humankind as it conveys many various massages to others because it is mostly the foremost outline of dealing others have with you.
There are many different forms of the ” handshaking “. One of those forms is the submissive” handshake “. The submissive “ handshake ” happens when you proffer your hand with palm-upward, figuratively the other person will be giving the position of palm-upward hand which shows dominance and authority, and that is the contrary of submission.
Some indications of submissive “ handshake “:
Like all parts of the ” body language ” , submissive ” handshake ” reflects human beings’ inner characteristics and indications that denote to:
- Meekness: when person intends to show a kind of humility, he/ she intentionally handshake with palm upward to give the other person the rule of ascendant, as to tells him/ her that “I am at your service “.
- Impressive: This reference could be in affect when a person intends to show regret or an apology state. In this case he/ she uses the position of submissive “ handshake ” to let the other to be the dominant and to sense remorse of submissive” handshake” user, as if telling the former “ I am sorry for what I have done”.
- Coquet movement (often by women): women that use this submissive” handshake ” ,which is a kind of ” body language ” indications, as an appearance of femininity in business meetings they would not be considers seriously both by other women or by men. This does not mean that women in the workplace need to act in a masculine way, but simply avoiding signals ” body language ” indicated femininity if she wants credibility equal with men. So, if woman want to be considered as a man parallel , especially in business, they have to avoid this position of ” hand shaking ” at all cost.
But we must beware of interpreting all palms upward in a position of ” submissive handshake ” as indications made to be signals of submission. Before we condemn negatively, we must take into consideration their state of affairs as:
- Disease of arthritis : a person with arthritis hand will undergo to give his hand limply of pain ,but not submissively.
- Professional circumstances: a surgeon and the artist are acting on the same lines of person with arthritis, but to protect their tools.
To differ between the dominating person and submissive one must consider the movements that happen after ” shaking hand “. The more submissive person takes a weak position the more the dominant shows aggressive intentions in all parts of the ” body language ” movements.
How to Create Equality
Do you want to be held or restrained by the other person? shake his/ her hand with palm upward , then you notice how fast and effective result. If you do not pay more attention to your parts of the ” body language ” movements including ” hand shaking ” .
To show equality use vertical palms in ” shaking hands ” as that your palm to be firm without being crushing with the other’s, and for a very exact period so you know when to go.
write by : Nora Mustfa
Body language, body, language, hand shaking, shaking hands, hand, palm, how to read body language, body language singes