Shaking Hands Series- Part Four
The signals of Hands’ Palm
Human hand’s palm ” signals ” are the most hidden enormous energy and influence of the ” body language ” someone may gain when uses palm” signals ” in time. The biggest mistake in ” body language ” is trying to explain some of the ” gestures ” separately, so take every “ gesture “ alone.
And here we will recognize the basic positions of the palm ” gestures ” which are kinds of ” body language ” needed to deal effectively with others. These three main ” gestures ” positions show user personality’s kind. When you supposed the same facial expressions, items or entries and voice accent to be used, by changing palm’s situation you will recognize the variety of these personalities.
There are three main positions for the palm ” signals ” :
1-Palm upward position:
this position indicates that the user is a peaceful person Demonstrating:
- openness and cooperation
The user of this signal will not depend on pressure or order upon requesting others to do him/ her something. So, those whom had been asked will not feel that they are threatened and they will obey and cooperate. Thus, this position preferred to be used in hand shakings as it shows openness and cooperation.
- Request not order
This signal of ” palm ” is used, mostly, by beggars; either spiritual beggars who pray for God for forgiveness or obtaining something, or materials beggars who beg others to give them money or something else.
- Listening more than talking
When this up-ward ” palm ” signal is used by a person, it shows that he/ she prefers to be a listener rather than a talker. Shortly, it means that as if this signal user tells the others that ” I am at your beck and call “.
2-Palm downward position:
This the position indicates hostile and controlling power:
- Hostile :person reciprocates with instant authority and feels that he/ she has been given a sense of hostile against him/ her by the user of this signal. This depends on the relationship between the cited person and the owner of authority.
For example ,If you give your son or employee an order by you, he/ she will perform the it but in a resentful way. But if the two are of the same grade level, he/ she simply will refuse the order because the ” palm ” is down and he/ she was to accept if the ” palm ” is up !
- Domination and Power:
This position is used by the authority owner towards his/ her subalterns. So, this reference will serve as an order, but not request. As in Hitler’s salute which expresses domination and power ,so his/ her salute is known as the most historical one as it conveys double signal of ” palm ” downward and becomes famous in Energetic of the ” body language “.
Thus, this position is not preferred to be used in hand shakings as you will feel the other person is aggressively trying to be absolute. In addition to being authoritarian and arrogance, this signal is a clear message to the others trying to subject them. So, certainly it suggests order not demand.
3- palm closed-erect forward index finger position:
It’s one of the most provocative ” gestures ” to others when you talk to them. In addition to being authoritarian and arrogance ,it is a clear message to the other trying to subject them. Certainly, it shows not demand, but order .This position denotes :
- Docile: The speaker is trying to force the listener to be quiet and easily controlled. It draws the attention to the person you are pointing to, making him/ her feel uncomfortable and drawing all the attention. for example, when person points at others while he/ she is lecturing them, either as attacking reference to make others admit who is the suspected or determining reference.
- Acquiescence: the speaker is absolute, so that the cited person is trying to make the reluctant acceptance without protest at being given an order. for example, when an employee performs his bossy-imperious director’s order.
- Abidance: the speaker is absolutely certain of his followers to be obedient and submissive. As when a religious or political leader refers with his forefinger others rushed to him/ her without knowing the real motives and reasons.
- Groveling: the user being asked to remorse for past conduct . It’s like the repentant index finger.
Thus, if you are accustomed to use the ” body language ” especially method of aggressive finger , try to use the pointed-finger with ” palm ” up and not closed. this method will create a more positive attitude and bring calm and relaxation for yourself and others!
However, many of palm” signals ” have been changing over the last years (as a single ” palm ” is held in the air when somebody is giving evidence in a court of law, and putting palm over heart when taking an oath ). Also new ” gestures ” are added like the referee’s ” gestures ” .For example, the ” palm ” open and facing forward, a pushing motion towards the front of the body once or twice to indicate the puck was moved ahead with the hand.
Furthermore, most of the main movements of ” body language “, including palm” signals “, are uniform in all the world, Also there are differences in dealing with the sub-movements of ” body language “, including palm” signals ” , in the countries of the world according to the different cultures.
write by : Nora Mustfa
Body language, body, language, hand shaking, shaking hands, hand, palm, how to read body language, body language singes, gestures, singes